• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A how do you obtain your 1st coding job

I am curious how can you get your first coding job with no experience? Recently passed CPC and can't find an extern site or an entry level position. Everyone wants experience. I'm starting to lose faith. I have so much invested in this. Really don't want to pursue icd-10 if I can't find a job in icd-9..Any suggestions..
Thank you for your time

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Angela,
Besides the tips in A Career in Medical Coding by Laureen Jandroep (Kindle book) available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/A-Career-Medical-Coding-ebook/dp/B00BEZ00ZA, I found this website with a list of websites to look for jobs: http://medicalcodingbillingschools.net/medical-coding-job-resources-mega-list/

Also consider applying for jobs in the type of office you eventually would like to land a coding job that don't require coding, such as a receptionist. Then when a job comes along you are in a position to move into it. Attend AAPC local chapter meetings -- sometimes they announce job openings in the area.

I don't know if you're into such things like positive thinking, but, personally, I think that can make a difference! This would mean purposely not concentrating on how much you "want" a job... that can attract more "want", or "lack" of a job. Instead think about how wonderful it is that you have excelled in obtaining your coding skills (which it truly is) and how you will be moving into a better job soon. Wishing you power in keeping the faith, and success in finding something suitable soon!

I agree Ruth I am trying to keep a positive attitude, and applying for other medical positions. I'm just afraid to continue to spend money advancing my education in coding if I'm not coding. I guess I never realized how difficult it would be. I thought the test was the hard part ,haha.. Thank you for the kind words. I am going to take your advice and go to a chapter meeting.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Thank you, Ruth, for sharing the website. I bookmarked it for easy find. Laureen, I already got your free eBook on landing your first job and already recommending to people who are looking for their first job.

Im not a student of your Laureen unfortunately. I only attend your webinars and watch youtube videos. I see you are from South Jersey as am I do you happen to know anyone taking on interns?

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Angela, don't give up. There is a job out there, but we have to find it first. Hopefully, there will be more jobs when ICD-10 comes out next year. It is good to know both ICD-9 and ICD-10 as employers will be looking for people who knows both ICD-9 and ICD-10.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I am curious how can you get your first coding job with no experience? Recently passed CPC and can't find an extern site or an entry level position. Everyone wants experience. I'm starting to lose faith. I have so much invested in this. Really don't want to pursue icd-10 if I can't find a job in icd-9..Any suggestions..
Thank you for your time

Angela, if you are still looking you might want to consider purchasing Practicode and building up your expertise. Practicode is owned by Aviacode. Aviacode hires remote coders and they have indicated that someone with Practicode experience with good scores would be looked upon favorably for hiring. Of course there are no guarantees, but already Carolyn Heath, a CCO customer and forum member, has gone that route and landed a job with Aviacode, so it is clearly possible. Here is the link for info about Practicode.

joannesheehan

CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
Angela,
Coding and billing are an on-going learning experience and the intangible knowledge you gain from working in the field is what makes a physician or hospital administrator trust you enough to hire you. There are many practices who are willing to give you a chance but you must be persistent in your search. When you least expect it, you will be blessed with an opportunity.
On a practical note...(and this goes with any job) get your foot in the door of a place you would like to work. You may start out as someone who just registers patients or answers telephone calls, but if the provider sees your professionalism and you ask a lot of questions and offer to help out in the billing and coding department, AND you get along with your fellow employees, good things will happen. Positive actions equal positive results.
In a GPO (Group Practice Organization), you can work at any job and learn from the bottom up. These organizations have Human Resource Departments that typically list jobs on a bulletin board with different levels of pay. They usually hire from within before they look outside the organization so do not give up.
I started out as an accountant for a child psychiatrist, who lost her medical biller/coder and asked me if I would like to try and take over her billing. I knew nothing! No training! I self taught. (Of course that was many years ago). She allowed me flexibility because I was a new Mom and with my new knowledge I sent out 300 letters asking other psychiatrists if they needed a biller/coder and I got one response: a 6 doctor practice who KNEW I was new in the industry but they took a chance on me. I ended up working for many doctors as an independent contractor. My small business grew faster than my children, and I have evolved to biller, coding instructor, consultant, auditor, public speaker, etc.
There was no business plan. :) I just took the plunge and did not look back. So do not give up. Okay?
It WILL happen!!!! Stay motivated. I wish you the best.

AshleyR

Angela, if you are still looking you might want to consider purchasing Practicode and building up your expertise. Practicode is owned by Aviacode. Aviacode hires remote coders and they have indicated that someone with Practicode experience with good scores would be looked upon favorably for hiring. Of course there are no guarantees, but already Carolyn Heath, a CCO customer and forum member, has gone that route and landed a job with Aviacode, so it is clearly possible. Here is the link for info about Practicode.
Do you know if Practicode teach outpatient or inpatient coding or both?

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Practicode definitely has outpatient coding modules. They also have an inpatient ICD-10-PCS module. What the plans are for the future, I'm not sure.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
For some reason, the Inpatient ICD-10-PCS module does not seem to work. The other modules do work, but not the inpatient one for ICD-10.